Sunday, April 13, 2014

Penny table; Part 1

Penny table beginnings ... I suggested to the husband that I really wanted a table for the back porch, we have an outside dining type patio set, but I want it on the front porch so I can do homework out there. I wanted something big enough to hold a few drinks out back. 

So he tells me ok he will take a piece of board we had left over from another project to work and have it cut into a circle on the water jet machine they have that cuts wood like butter. So while he's at work he sends me a text and asks me if I want a design like a scallop.... And I'm thinking of this table at the miller house...



And of course I was super excited and said YES! And he brings me home this beauty....


I had already planned on recycling my old milk can....




Then I start thinking how can I make this table a little more "stylin" I love the brass of the miller table, but I live in an old farm house, and remember I wAnt this table to weather the summer outside. So fancy isn't going to cut it for this household :) 
My first steps were to spray paint the wood a copper color ( here's a pic with my door plaque and my rose wreath all being spray painted the same day) 



And here's the beginning look with my glass of inspiration, modeling a "before" shot. 



Then me and Wes, started searching the house for pennies, it wasn't too hard, the husband had a bunch hoarded in a drawer and I had a few more stuck in an old purse waiting to get cashed in. So we got some super glue and put them down.


We ran out and I ended up taking Wes' penny stash to finish it! Poor kid, the things he gives up for the sake of my art sometimes :)  he had a whole 5 pennies left when I finished gluing them down. 


So now we are stuck at this stage. I have some heat and bond foil to go around the edge, but I want to pour a resin top on it and I'm still in the research stage of that. I've read where people use duck tape to hold an edge while pouring and curing resin, but I haven't figured out the right resin to get either. After all I don't need a gallon of resin for this table, maybe a quart probably a lot less.

So we are at a stand still at this point. I have finals next week and then 2 whole weeks off before summer classes start, I'm hoping to finish it before then. I'll keep you posted :) 

Thanks for visiting! 





No comments:

Post a Comment