Sunday, July 14, 2013

Coffee Table awesomeness!


Before of my table, actually this is a before/after shot, this table used to have plain square legs, and I had another table with these pretty legs, and had my husband switch them out for me ( he's a good guy, puts up with my crap, helps me with all my projects, etc) lol so yeah this is the after/ before  shot. 

Over all not a bad table.  Perfect height for putting your feet up, but wasnt very comfy, so when i found wonderful pinterest and started seeing all of the beautiful upholstered round tables all over the place, i thought man that would make this table awesome! 

It had one spot on top I don't know how that spot got there, but this used to be our kitchen table and it came with the husband so, who knows...

And the after! OMG Squeel! Lol yep I love how this turned out! 




I had these grand plans for lots of buttons, but after coving and putting on the first round, you can't even see them, so I didn't bother putting any more on. 

This has a 1" foam padding on it under the material, which is just enough padding to keep my feet comfy when I put them up. At some point I plan on DIYing a tray to cozy up the look of it, maybe add some candles or what not. That will be in the new house, for now though, I have one more project I plan on doing this week, and I hope to post by next weekend, it includes more black spray paint and more of the canvas drop cloth I used on the stereo cabinet JOY! Love crafting projects! 



Some details about this project
Table: Free repurposed
Material: $10.64 for 1.5 yards at Walmart
Foam padding: $16 @ Walmart and I did have to cut it and piece it together to make it fit! 
Paint: already had it so again free
Total cost: roughly $27 + tax 


 I bought spray adhesive to attach the foam to the table, it wasn't the best bond, but it worked as a temporary holder. I followed Pinterest tips and sprayed outside, so no overspray stickiness issues ;). 

I then turned the table upside down and used my electric meat knife to cut the foam, it was so easy! I highly recommend doing that!

Then I sprayed the top again and laid out the fabric and smoothed it out, if you are using plain fabric I would probably iron it before using it. 

Once it was smoothed and semi attached with the spray adhesive, we flipped it back over and I used my handy dandy staple gun and stapled it down really good, if you have never done this before start with a staple on each side, then go between 2sides and staple in the middle of that, basically you want to work small areas and pull the fabric a little taught before stapling. It creates less wrinkles and puckers this way. A good thing about fabric with a print like I chose is that it covers almost any mess up! 

I also added some buttons, there are 4 in the photo above. Yep I couldn't see them either and after covering those I quit. It was a decorative element that was for aesthetics only and since I couldn't see them I didn't waste anymore time making more.  

I still want to get a scotch guard type spray and seal this before it gets dirty, but basically that's it. Lots of staples. And I am thrilled to pieces at how it looks! 



Thanks for reading! 






No comments:

Post a Comment